A container ship anchored at Dubai’s Jebel Ali Port caught fire on Wednesday, leading to a massive explosion illuminating the night sky. As per reports, the blast was so powerful that it could be witnessed from space via satellite. The shot unleashed a shock wave to nearly 25 km shaking walls and windows in the neighborhood.
There are no immediate casualties reported, and the fire has been brought under control by Dubai’s civil defense team. The reporting teams don’t confirm the vessel name, but it is speculated that it was the Comoros Flagged container Ship “Ocean Trader.” The ship carried 130 containers, three of which comprised flammable materials.
How this incident is going to affect the port operations is yet to be seen.
Quick facts on the port of Jebel Ali:
- Ranks tenth among the world’s busiest container ports
- Biggest man-made harbour in the world
- Voted as the best seaport in the Middle East for 24 consecutive years.
- Facilitates trade between the eastern and western markets: North Africa, South Asia and the Middle East.
- Spread over an area of 134 sq. km
- Equipped with 67 berths
- Capacity of 19.3 million TEU
- 14.9 million TEUs handled in 2018
References: My Bayut, iContainers, CNN