Feb 5, 2020
A new year, a new decade – what lies ahead? Shippers, freight forwarders, supply chain managers, logistics providers, port authorities and, last but far from least, liner shipping are all gazing into the crystal ball – and it’s murkier than ever. All we can be certain about is that the new decade comes with numerous new challenges.
The biggest game-changer in the ocean freight industry has undoubtedly been the January 1 IMO rule mandating a global switchover to very low sulfur fuel oil (VLSFO). As yet, it’s too early to be sure what longer-term impact the VLSFO rule will have on the ocean freight industry (watch this space!). But one thing is for sure, this year’s trade shows and specialist symposia are the place to be to get informed opinions, share experiences, or simply talk shop. The more you see and share, the wiser you will be.
Key events – Q1 2020
- Saudi Arabia World Trade Forum, 4-6 February: The Saudi Transport & Logistics Services event has attracted up to 20,000 visitors in the past. Maybe a good event to kick off 2020 with?
- Logistics & Distribution, Dortmund, 12-13 February:This regional trade fair for intralogistics takes place in a key city in the Ruhr Region, Germany’s industrial heartland. Ocean Insights will be represented at this event.
- CTL 2020, Mumbai, 27-28 February: The CTL Conference is staged parallel to BHP 2020, the Mega Cargo Show. Both are key events for the shipping, ports, cargo and logistics communities in India and beyond. Members of our Indian team will be at CTL 2020.
- TPM Long Beach, 4-8 March: There’s no doubting the importance of this event for the trans-Pacific and global container shipping and logistics community. The organizers say it’s a ‘must-attend conference’. Our sales team will naturally be attending.
- Logistics CIO Forum, Amsterdam, 11-12 March: This Forum brings together over 200 senior IT executives to provide a roadmap to tackle the major IT challenges in the logistics industry. Our Sales Director, Robin Jaacks, will be one of the speakers.
- IAPH World Ports Conference, Antwerp, 17-19 March: The leading event for the ‘gates of world trade’. So much of what is impacting the ocean freight industry is port-related. Surely this conference is a must. It is for us. Our Sales Director will be speaking at this event too.
- LogiChem, Amsterdam, 19-21 March: Fortunately, Amsterdam is only a few hours’ drive from Antwerp, which is a good thing for everyone involved in chemical supply chains in view of the overlapping dates. LogiChem is the place to be for all these stakeholders and our Sales Director will be a panel speaker there, too.
- SITL, Paris, 26-28 March: This trade show aimed at the freight forwarding and supply chain sectors has traditionally been a most valuable and impactful event, particularly for the global French-speaking community. Ocean Insights will have a booth there.
Whatever the new decade brings, improved supply chain management made possible by enhanced supply chain visibility will be more important than ever in surmounting present and future challenges. This is where our Ocean Insights portfolio comes in. Our Container Track and Trace and Container Sailing Schedules tools, for example, will radically improve your supply chain visibility. Save the dates of these trade shows to share your needs with us and see how you can profit from our services.