Have you ever asked yourself how the coffee or tea that you drink get to your table? Your coffee, your laptop, and your mobile phone were all very likely shipped in a container. Containers carry a massive percentage of the goods that impact our daily lives.
One cannot full understand globalization without understanding containerized supply chain. The importance of these steel boxes is clearly undeniable, so we have put together some fun and interesting facts about shipping containers.
Infographic: shipping container facts
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
You can use the infographic also online, but you have to link back to us.
If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.
The 8 container facts summary
- 95% of the world’s cargo is currently moved by ship.
- 97% of all containers are made in China.
- 50% of all containers are owned by shipping lines. The other 50% is leased running from one to ten years.
- Containers can last up to 20 years or more.
- A regular container can hold up to 8,000 shoe boxes.
- Between 2,000 and 10,000 containers get lost in the sea every year after falling off of the ships carrying them.
- Between 5 million and 170 million shipping containers are currently belonging to our global container fleet.
- The shipping industry has spent more than $ 236 billion on the purchase of new vessels to increase container transportation.